Welcome to J.R Maxwell & Co. in the heart of historic Bath, Maine, known as "The City of Ships". The building was construcced in 1840 by John Eliot after a previous structure, the Whinship House, burned in 1838. The Eliot House, as it was called, used to be an elegant hotel and for many years was the tallest building in Bath. In 1979, J.R Maxwell & Co, opened it's door, offering delicious family dining and hearty fare suitable for any captain's table.
The restaurant is named after J.R. Maxwell, a trader, smuggler, and adventure (and entirely fictions) ship's captain who made his living along the rugged seacoast of Maine in a Bath-built schooner. It was Captain Maxwell's preferred vessel, as these classic sleek wooden ships were highly maneuverable and able to outrun and outsail any pursuer of the time. His schooner enabled him to carry goods swiftly along the coast and slip unseen in and out of remote rocky harbors from Canada to Maine and points south. The turn of the century saw the end of the romantic era of Maine-built wooden ships and their fearless seafaring captains. But stories of J.R. Maxwell and his daring deeds and bold entrepreneurial spirit, live on in the company bearing his name: J.R Maxwell & Co.
Since 1979, J.R. Maxwell & Co has been serving the midcoast area's finest seafood and steak. Celebrating 44 years of food, family, and friends in Downtown Bath.